Wooden Hanger Mystery

I would like to share an experience with you that I had.  I have wanted some wooden hangers for my pants for a long time now.  The plastic ones always bend and sometimes break, and make a weird crossways crease in the middle of my pants.  But I never put in the effort or the money to find and buy them.  I have just been doing without for over a year.  We were at my wife’s parents’ house.  It was very soon after we found out on ultrasound that our sixth child is a boy!  My wife’s mother gave us a very nice boy blanket for the new baby on the way.  I also noticed the hanger the blanket came on, and that it would be very nice to hang pants on.  It was made out of wood and metal.  I didn’t want to ask for it in case she wanted to keep it herself, but when I saw that her Mom was taking it out to the trash, I asked if she would mind if I could have the hanger.  She of course didn’t mind, but she had already thrown it in the outside trash.  She said she had some more and asked if I wanted them.  I said yes, and she brought out four more hangers the same as the other one, as she had stocked up on baby blankets in anticipation of more grandchildren yet to be, or perhaps for friends’ new arrivals.  I was glad for the four hangers, yet I did want the fifth.  I checked the trash can outside, but it was pretty stinky and down at the bottom as it was nearly empty.  I didn’t want to be seen digging in the trash, for which I would have to pretty much get my whole upper body in.  Not the image I wanted others to have of me, I guess. 

So, I gladly took the four hangers, kind of wishing I had that fifth, but not willing to get it out.  I hung up my pants the next day on the new hangers.  I then rediscovered that I have four pairs of slacks and one pair of corduroys for work and church!  If I had known that, or thought about it long enough, I would have gotten that fifth hanger, dumpster dive or not!  I’m glad to have the nice four free hangers that are just what I wanted, but I still wished I had a complete set.  So, one of my pairs of pants has still been hanging on a plastic hanger, and it had kind of been bothering me. 

Well, about a month later, my beautiful wife had done all of the laundry, and I was hanging up my newly cleaned four pairs of slacks and one pair of corduroys.  When I was done, I looked in my closet and all five pairs of pants were each hanging on a wooden hanger.  I was kind of puzzled because I knew I only had four wooden hangers.  I asked my wife, who was sitting on the bed reading something, if she had gotten me a new wooden hanger.  “No, I didn’t,” she said.  I looked in my closet again.  I was confused.  I couldn’t believe it.  I was looking at all five pairs of my pants, hanging on five wood and metal hangers, knowing that I only had 4 wooden hangers.  I slowly counted them again, there were five.  I went into my kids’ room where they were all playing together.  “Did any of you kids put a wooden hanger in my closet?”  They all said they had not.  I went and even more slowly counted the hangers again.  Sure enough, 5 wooden hangers and five pairs of pants!  I asked my wife again, “Are you sure you didn’t get me a new wooden hanger?”  Now, she seemed a little confused why I was asking such a question again when she had just told me a couple minutes ago that she had not.  “No, I didn’t get you a new wooden hanger,” she said with a wondering yet certain sort of tone.  I stood there looking at the hangers, in deep wonder myself.  I feel it was a blessing.  A small gift for my from Heavenly Father, sending me a sign that would be just for me, to let me know that He loves me.  It made me a little misty-eyed, and as I write about it again, I am misty-eyed again.  Miracles increase my faith.  And I as recall this one, it reminds me of the love Heavenly Father has for me and everyone.  I believe, just like any father, He enjoys giving those little gifts to his children (us!) that brighten our day. 

If Heavenly Father has blessed you with a miracle, I encourage you to share that with others if you feel inspired by the Holy Ghost to do so.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mosh Pit Tribute Volunteer

Short biography of Beth Wynn Hepworth (Jacobson) by her son

Plight in the Snow