Life Hack: How to Find Coconut Aminos at the Grocery Store


We were out of town a few days ago staying with some friends. They had been making us delicious meals, and the wife and I wanted to return the favor. We decided to make sweet potato burritos which are a family favorite. We went to the local grocery store, which was organized differently than our grocery store back home, so it took longer than normal to find the ingredients we were after. The last thing we were looking for was a bottle of coconut aminos, which is a soy sauce substitute.

I knew if we could find the Asian food section we could then find the soy sauce and the coconut aminos would be right next to them. The wife and I went up and down the 3-4 aisles that it could have been on and we couldn’t find the soy sauce. We checked the aisles a second time and still couldn’t find it. We were getting down to crunch time and dinner was already going to be late, so we decided to divide and conquer. We began looking at the aisles a third time. As luck would have it, I began looking at an aisle and I saw an Asian man. Without really thinking about it, I thought, “He is probably by the soy sauce.” He wasn’t. Still, having exhausted myself looking for the soy sauce which wasn't working anyway, I decided I would just follow him around, figuring he my lead me to where I wanted to go.  I followed him at a distance down an aisle and a half.  No luck. I contemplated just asking him if he knew where the soy sauce was, but thought that might be openly offensive rather than just secretly so. So, I just kept following along at a not noticeably close distance. I crossed paths with the wife and let her know my plan. Of course, she rolled her eyes at least inside her mind (I can tell when she does that), and she was really glad I didn’t ask him where the soy sauce was, however she began to follow along too--realizing the obvious sensibility of my plan. On the next aisle, he went right to where we were waiting for him to lead us and stopped and looked at the soy sauce, although he did not buy any.  Maybe he already had some at home or perhaps he was contemplating switching to the healthier coconut aminos.  I looked at my wife, and she just smiled, laughed and shook her head. Anyway, my plan worked whether it was a racist plan or not.  What do you think, is racial profiling racist?

Comments

  1. If tables were switched, would you feel offended if he followed you while looking for a Scandinavian ingredient? Certainly not! You, knowing this, trusted that he was as free-thinking a person as you are ~ no racial differences !

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mosh Pit Tribute Volunteer

Short biography of Beth Wynn Hepworth (Jacobson) by her son

Plight in the Snow