Ministering Before Ministering was a Thing

     The Church* has done away with the good old Home Teaching and Visiting Teaching callings, and switched to what is called “Ministering.”  Whether you like the new way or wish things had never changed, the idea is to switch to a more Spirit-driven program, and to try to be more in-tune with the needs of the families that we minister to.  Some, I know, were operating in this manner long before the new change was made. 

     One such person who was leaps and bounds ahead of her time, was my wife’s friend Kristen Robinson, now Kristen Doe.  Kristen and my wife were roommates in college at BYU.  I used to think of Kristen as my wife’s pitbull, meaning that if Jami needed defending, Kristen was ready to fight.  I hope if Kristen ever happens upon this post, she will take this as the highest compliment, for pitbulls are known for their ability to be gentle with a baby and can also be extremely ferocious with a foe.  I know in general the husband should be the wife’s own pitbull, however Kristen naturally fit this role better than I did, not because of her physic but because of her fierce spirit. 

     When my wife had a miscarriage with her first pregnancy, Kristen was there.  She asked how and when she could help, and she meant it.  One morning, I believe the morning after Jami birthed our son Isaac’s tiny body, Jami wanted some French Toast from Kneader’s Bakery.  Kneader’s had an all-you-can-eat French Toast breakfast which was very popular in Provo, and their golden syrup was amazing to go with it.  But Jami didn’t want to go in with a tear-streaked face.  So she asked Kristen to go get some for her.  She specifically requested to have two servings of the golden syrup to go with the French Toast.  Kristen went immediately to pick of the French Toast and the double serving of golden syrup.  She bought and paid for the French Toast and received not two, but one little cup of the golden syrup.  Kristen asked for the second little cup of golden syrup.  The employee behind the cash register dutifully said they were only allowed to give one small cup to each customer for to-go orders.  I have to use my imagination as I was not there, but basically what I heard happened was Kristen growled at that employee, “My friend’s baby just died, and she wants two cups of golden syrup!”  I can picture Kristen grabbing the employee by the collar of her work uniform as she yelled this, although I am sure that part is just my own embellishment.  Needless to say, the Kneader’s employee quickly complied.

     Thank you Kristen for the love you showed to my wife in her time of sadness to get what she wanted.  I don’t think the Church is going to change the name of ministering to “pitbulling” anytime soon, but this fiercesome act of loyalty was ministering before there was “ministering.”

 

*I am referring to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  I would call it “my Church" or "our Church," but it does not really belong to me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mosh Pit Tribute Volunteer

Short biography of Beth Wynn Hepworth (Jacobson) by her son

Plight in the Snow